6.22.2003

The Moon House Dessert Bar


The strangely named Moon House Dessert Bar in Happy Valley also doubles up as a rather neat snack bar where you can get fish balls and noodles in soup for 28 Hong Kong dollars. I used to go there quite often when my friend E. was still in town - these days I try to make my own dinner. It is one of my favourite places in Happy Valley though - it is very clean and the food is very decent. When I did venture back one day the owner lady was very happy to see me. But she's a clever one.
"We haven't seen you for a few days,"
she remarked, as she directed me to one of the small, low round tables. The tiny place was empty except for a young lady sitting behind me noisily eating her noodles.
"It's been quite a couple of weeks, actually."
I said as I sat down.
"I know,"she said, "you have been so busy, and [you have become] so thin!"
I knew what was coming on then.
"You must try the baked sago taro pudding," she said as she pushed forward the dessert menu, "it is really famous here you know?"
"Really?"
"Yes, Japanese TV came and took pictures of our pudding!"
she said, smiling broadly with pride.
"So you must have it! It is famous!"
"OK, I will. But how about having some noodles first? With fish balls please."
The noodles were very white, thick udon noodles. The fish balls were massive white clumps sitting on several green leaves of some unknown vegetable on top of the noodles. I ate my meal slowly with relish.
"You must take care of yourself, you know. You must have three meals a day."
The lady began as she watched me eating from her place next to the counter.
"I do. I never skip breakfast,"
I began but she interrupted,
"You must have stomach acid. It is not good for you. You must eat properly."
"Er, yes."

A group of children came in with their mothers and the owner lady busily convinced them to order two desserts each with a large sago drink. I unkindly thought that none of the children looked as though they needed the extra nutrition as I finished my noodles. The lady looked up and said,
"Are you ready for the baked sago taro pudding?"
I had no choice. The pudding turned out to be baked custard with tiny translucent sago beads embedded in the bright yellow mixture. I dipped my spoon into the cracked brown baked top when the lady said,
"There's taro inside it! You have to get the taro!"
So I spooned the taro mixture in the centre with the custard and the sago. The taro balanced out the sweetness of the custard. I enjoyed it tremendously and, against my better judgement, ended up finishing the whole lot.
"You like the pudding?"
The lady asked as I paid the bill.
"Yes, it was very nice, thank you. But now I have to roll home, I think. I'm so full."
I said, pointing to my stomach. The lady and all the other ladies grinned widely at this. They cheerfully waved me goodbye as I stepped out into the late Friday night.

10:06 PM |